The sun room is coming along nicely, if I do say so myself! The addition of our DIY coffee table really helped to finish things off. When we decided to add a coffee table, we hit Pinterest (follow me for more sun room eye-candy!) to find some inspiration:
1. Vintage Chic 2. No Link-through 3. No Link=through 4. Jenna Sue Design 5. No Link-through
We already had a crate-like thing going on, round wasn’t functional, and since Eric was building it, he got the final choice (5). Though I have to admit, I’m totally digging 4. The inspiration picture used 2×4’s for the top, but we wanted something a bit wider, so we changed the plan.
We measured and made a plan for what we wanted to fit our exact space–my favorite thing to do when measuring for furniture or art is to put painters tape down in the dimensions you’re thinking to really help visualize. We had to take into account what size lumber could fit into the car, and what would be most cost effective, for example, buying longer boards that can be cut down instead of multiple boards of the exact dimensions–a little more time, but usually cheaper. We hit Menards (always a treat with a toddler in tow!) and went straight to the “value wood” pile. Basically, this is a pile of scrap wood that may be a bit warped, have large knots, or leftover pieces from cuts made in the store–if you can work with this, you’re getting a little deal.
Were were able to find everything we needed with the exception of the 4×4:
- (5) 4ft. 2×6’s
- (2) 6ft. 2×4’s
- (1) 6ft. 4×4
The total cost was around $35.
The dimensions of the table are 5 ft l x 2 ft. w, and 18″ h.
I asked the hubby to give some tips on how he put it together…
“A billion pocket holes, a measuring tape, and a trusty #2 pencil.” Sorry folks, you’re on your own from here! 🙂 I will say he’s becoming quite addicted to the Kreg Jig, though.
I do know he assembled the top and bottom separately, as I stained them separately. We used the same Rustoleum Kona stain we had on hand, using an apply-then-wipe strategy, then followed with 2 coats of polyurethane. After that, we decided to jazz it up by adding some hardware on the ends.
I bought some basic 1″ L brackets (or corner braces) at Lowe’s for about $2 each. Each bracket had a price sticker on it, so I used my lazy Go0-Gone method to get it off: spray a few squirts on a plate, put the object with goo on the plate to soak, come back later to easily wipe it off. (Don’t forget to wash it with soap and water.)
Then I picked up this spray paint:
I must say, I’ve been doing a lot of spray painting lately, and I swear by Rustoleum. Valspar seems to have a lot more colors, but it doesn’t go on as easily or hold up as well as Rustoleum. To paint the screws, I grabbed a leftover styrofoam take-out container and punched the screws through. Voila!
To keep the finish on the screws, Eric pre-drilled the holes into the table, then hand-screwed them in.
Then it was on to accessorizing! Most things we already had on hand. We love these Pottery Barn flameless candles since burning any type of candle can release carcinogens into the air.
This serving tray was complements of a wedding gift 5 years ago, and I just Modge Podged it with some scrapbook paper.
I picked these succulents up at Lowe’s for just a couple dollars, and plopped into these metal buckets from the Target Dollar Spot that I bought to store Matty’s craft supplies.
P.S. I feel like a legitimate blogger now–I have a photo styled with Pellegrino bottles. Seriously–find me a home decor blog that doesn’t use Pellegrino bottles in staging! 🙂