Outside spaces definitely weren’t the first projects that we tackled, but they may have been the most back-breaking. And where we feel we got the least bang for our buck (literally and metaphorically).
Here’s the outside when we bought:
And here it is as of Friday…
OH WOW, RIGHT! <–sarcasm But here’s a list of the things we’ve done:
- Painted the mailbox
- Moved the house numbers (they were hard to see from the street)
- Removed outdoor carpet on stoop (piece. by. piece. ugh.)
- Trimmed 14 bushes (before deciding to get rid of some)
- Removed 7 bushes (including roots)
- Dealt with Killer Bush From Hell (think wasps, flies, & bees in killer amounts that took over the whole yard)
- Planted annuals
- Planted two shrubs, an azalea, and a hydrangea
- Added solar lights
- Added soaker hoses
- Planted a garden
- Limbed up three trees
- Raked at least 500 pinecones
- Painted 5 sets of shutters
- Assembled a swing set
- Moved some brick (built a firepit which was then mowed over by the neighborhood kid who mowed our grass)
- Painted the lamppost
- Weeded. Think 2 garbage bags full from a 10 sq. ft. area…
- Arranged lawn furniture
Front Door Spruce
Lovely, lovely lawn furniture. Perfect for
passing out sleep deprived naps.
One bush down, 14 to go!
The backyard is still a hot mess.
So we still have some stuff to get done.
- Fence in the backyard
- Patio in the backyard
- Limb up the pine tree (eventually we’d like to get this cut down)
- Remove 4 more bushes
- Remove said Killer Bush From Hell
- Put in a raised garden
- Get a rain barrel
- Finish painting shutters (yes, we ran out of paint and didn’t get one set done <– keeping it classy)
- Plant more perennials throughout the entire yard
- Install planter bed on corner
- Install planter bed around lightpost
- Replace light fixtures by front door
- Put in a natural playspace for Matty
- Build a lattice box around the air conditioner
- Install a shed in the backyard
- New screen door for the front door
- Irrigate and reseed the lawn
The backyard space is the next on the list. We’re hoping to have a fence and patio done before the start of Summer…anybody volunteering for Matty duty?!
Hop on over to Pinterest for some outdoor eye candy.